This satisfying, earthy soup is so warm and comforting. The wild rice is filling, while the finely minced and chopped vegetables give the soup consistent flavour throughout. What’s more, its “creaminess” comes from pureed cannellini beans and coconut milk, rather than dairy products, making it vegan.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3-8 hours
slow cooker mushroom soup Ingredients:
1 c. multi-color wild rice blend
1 small white onion, roughly chopped
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
12 oz. fresh mushrooms, washed, divided
1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, undrained**
1 whole bay leaf
2 t. garlic powder
6-8 c. vegetable stock, divided
Salt and black pepper, to taste
½ c. full-fat coconut milk
¼ c. fresh parsley, finely chopped
Tip: For less salt, rinse and drain the beans before pureeing them.
Rinse the wild rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Drain and transfer to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to a food processor and pulse until very finely minced and transfer to slow cooker crock.
- Add 2/3 of the mushrooms to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Thinly slice remaining mushrooms and add to slow cooker, along with the finely chopped mushrooms.
- Add cannellini beans and a little water to food processor and puree until smooth. Pour into slow cooker crock with other ingredients. Add bay leaf, garlic powder, and 6 cups of vegetable stock. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. Actual cooking time will vary by individual slow cooker, so check for doneness after 2½ hours (or 5½ hours for low) and adjust cook time accordingly. (The rice should be tender, but not mushy, when finished).
- When cooking time is complete, remove bay leaf and discard. Add coconut milk, chopped parsley, and additional vegetable stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Do check out these perfect food and wine pairings. Do you know how long it takes to make wine?